The coalition maintains an active presence in Washington, D.C., to help educate elected officials about the importance of Great Lakes restoration investments and policies. In 2018, the coalition is watching and advocating for the following federal priorities:
- Fund the Great Lakes Restoration Initiative, the marquee federal Great Lakes restoration program, so that people, communities and businesses can benefit from healthy lakes.
- Fund the Clean Water State Revolving Fundand the Drinking Water State Revolving Fund to help communities fix wastewater and drinking water infrastructure to prevent sewage contamination and protecting drinking water in the Great Lakes region. The coalition supports the Water Infrastructure Finance and Innovation Act to help cities raise the funds needed to repair or upgrade water pipes and other infrastructure that are decades past their useful life.
- Support full Farm Bill funding for regional conservationinvestments in the Great Lakes region that pay farmers to take specific actions to protect soil and water quality.
- Enact policies to stop Asian carp—and other aquatic invasive species—from traveling between the Great Lakes and Mississippi River and colonizing U.S. waterways.
- Support the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s final Waters of the United States
- Support swift and strong implementation of the Domestic Action Plans for Michigan and Ohio to reduce toxic algal blooms in Lake Erie.
For more information, contact the coalition’s policy director, Chad Lord, at firstname.lastname@example.org